By Mimi Sheller
From sugar to indentured labourers, tobacco to reggae tune, Europe and North the United States were relentlessly eating the Caribbean and its resources for the previous years. during this interesting booklet, Mimi Sheller explores this tricky background, investigating the complicated mobilities of manufacturers and shoppers, of fabric and cultural commodities, including:
- foodstuffs and stimulants - sugar, fruit, espresso and rum
- human our bodies - slaves, indentured labourers and repair workers
- cultural and information items - texts, track, clinical collections and ethnology
- entire 'natures' and landscapes ate up through travelers as tropical paradise.
Consuming the Caribbean demonstrates how colonial exploitation of the Caribbean led on to modern sorts of intake of the zone and its items. It calls into query blameless indulgence within the pleasures of inconsiderate intake and demands a world ethics of purchaser responsibility.
Read or Download Consuming the Caribbean: From Arawaks to Zombies (International Library of Sociology) PDF
Similar business & finance reference books
In tracing the highbrow roots of industrial management over the past 100 years, award successful writer Gilbert W. Fairholm argues that until eventually lately, spirit and soul were absent from the foremost types. After outlining the weather of the 5 significant rules approximately management, he is going directly to outline and make operational a brand new concentration that needs to exist on the way to really comprehend the leaders' function in terms of employees.
Michael Badenhorst is a Greek-South African that has skilled promoting environments within the so much hard environments. Having accomplished his apprenticeship in promoting at one of many most interesting shops in Greece, he's familiar with dealing with the main tricky clients in addition to dealing with the main daunting objections from consumers.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2011 im Fachbereich BWL - Didaktik, Wirtschaftspädagogik, observe: 2,0, Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg (Institut für Betriebswirtschaftslehre und Wirtschaftspädagogik ), Veranstaltung: Lernmotivationen, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Die Äußerungen von Thilo Sarrazin sowie die Veröffentlichung seines Buches „Deutschland schafft sich ab“ im Sommer 2010 sorgten für großes Aufsehen in Deutschland.
This version of the realm monetary Outlook explores how a dramatic escalation of the monetary hindrance in September 2008 provoked an extraordinary contraction of job and exchange, regardless of lively coverage responses. It provides financial projections for 2009 and 2010, and likewise appears past the present concern, contemplating elements that might form the panorama of the worldwide economic climate over the medium time period, as companies and families search to fix the wear and tear.
- New Financial Ethics: A Normative Approach (Routledge Frontiers of Political Economy)
- Sustainability after Rio: 8 (Developments in Corporate Governance and Responsibility)
- Teaching Anticorruption: Developing a Foundation for Business Integrity
- Capital and Employment: A Study of Keynes's Economics
- Leading at a Higher Level, Revised and Expanded Edition: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
- The 2012 Best Book On Getting A Microsoft Job (A Former Developer & Program Manager Tells-All) - EXPANDED and UPDATED version!
Additional info for Consuming the Caribbean: From Arawaks to Zombies (International Library of Sociology)
Consuming the Caribbean: From Arawaks to Zombies (International Library of Sociology) by Mimi Sheller