By Shirley Samuels
- Offers an summary of early fictional genres and introduces how you can interpret them today
- Features intensive examinations of particular novels
- Explores the social and old contexts of the time to assist the readers’ knowing of the stories
- Explores questions of id - in regards to the novel, its 19th-century readers, and the rising constitution of the USA - as an incredible backdrop to knowing American fiction
- Profiles the foremost authors, together with Louisa may well Alcott, Charles Brockden Brown, James Fenimore Cooper, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Herman Melville, Harriet Beecher Stowe, along much less regular writers reminiscent of Fanny Fern, Caroline Kirkland, George Lippard, Catharine Sedgwick, and E. D. E. N. Southworth
- Selected via selection as a 2013 extraordinary educational Title
Read Online or Download Reading the American Novel 1780 - 1865 (Reading the Novel) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
Coyness and Crime in recovery Comedy examines the extreme concentrate on coy girls in overdue seventeenth-century English comedy. performs by means of Etherege, Wycherley, Dryden, Behn, Shadwell, Congreve, Trotter, Southerne, Vanbrugh, and Pix—as good as a lot sleek scholarship approximately them—taint just about all female modesty with intimations of duplicity and illicit wish that has to be contained.
After the overseas good fortune within the Nineties of authors akin to Bernhard Schlink, Marcel Beyer, and Thomas Brussig, a magnificent variety of new German-language novelists are creating a major effect. a few, like Karen Duve, Daniel Kehlmann, and Sasa Stanisic, have completed overseas acceptance; a few, like Julia Franck, have gained significant prizes; others, like Clemens Meyer, Alina Bronsky, and Ilja Trojanow, are really "emerging authors" who've started to draw realization.
First released in 1994. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
First released in 1995. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
- Close Listening: Poetry and the Performed Word (W.E.B. Du Bois Institute (Paperback))
- Fantasy and Mimesis (Routledge Revivals): Responses to Reality in Western Literature
- Dragons in the Land of the Condor: Writing Tusán in Peru
- Poetry in Pieces: César Vallejo and Lyric Modernity (FlashPoints)
- Martin McDonagh: A Casebook (Casebooks on Modern Dramatists)
- Breaking Barriers: The Wounded Spirit
Extra resources for Reading the American Novel 1780 - 1865 (Reading the Novel)
Reading the American Novel 1780 - 1865 (Reading the Novel) by Shirley Samuels